Child Relocation in Nevada

Child Relocation in Nevada

For many people, relocating is not uncommon. New job opportunities or family matters may lead people to consider relocating their families outside Nevada. Unfortunately, this becomes challenging with children following a divorce.

When child custody has been established, moving out of state is not so simple. Under NRS 125C.200, Nevada custodial parents wishing to relocate children out of the state must seek approval from the noncustodial parent. If the noncustodial parent refuses to give consent, the parent with primary physical custody must petition the court.   

In situations of joint physical custody, the parent wishing to relocate his or her residence out of Nevada must obtain written consent from non-relocating parent allowing the move and if the non-relocating parent refuses to give their consent, he or she must petition the court for primary physical custody for the purposes of relocating. In this case, the court will consider a number of factors before ruling on the case. The most important to consider is what is in the best interest of the child.


Obtain a Child Relocation Attorney

If you or your former spouse are considering relocating with your child, contact a child relocation attorney for a free consultation. The legal process can be quite complex.  Working with an attorney at Work Law will help protect your parental rights.